Ground Vegetation Index

Bruce K. Wylie (303) 490 8336 wylie at gpsrv1.gpsr.colostate.edu
Mon Dec 14 12:30:54 EST 1992

	NDVI is a value from -1 to 1. Often it is recoded to a
scaling from 1-255 to facilitate 8 bit files. Usually a linear
transfermation is used. Some only use the range of NDVI from -.1
to .6 and recode that from 1-255, thereby retaining more of the
NDVI information associated with biomass. Some recoding shemes
leave certian numbers out of the NDVI reclass numbers for
vectors or other overlays, e.g. 1-6 is for overlays and 7-255 is
NDVI or 1-250 is NDVI and 251-255 is for overlays.

Regards,

Bruce Wylie