arc coverages to grass

Greg Gaston gregg at russia.cor2.epa.gov
Thu Dec 17 18:13:59 EST 1992

I have sucessfully converted several arc coverages of the USSR to GRASS raster files.  In arc; additem minor1 and major1 to the .pat file.  make the attribute in the pat file equal to the minor1 attribute value (I use 'calc' in INFO e.g. CALC MINOR1 =  FOREST-ID). Then `arcdlg' to make the dlg file. move this file to the dlg dir of your mapset and run v.import and v.to.rast.

Its worked for me ... most of the time anyway, you might make sure your coverage is cleaned just prior to doing this exercise.

greg gaston