r.in.erdas crashing

Jim Aanstoos (919) 541-6890 AANSTOOS%LOUIE at rcc.rti.org
Wed Dec 30 10:41:10 EST 1992

When I attempt to import an Erdas LAN file (version 7.3 format) using
r.in.erdas, the program crashes with a segmentation fault. It displays the
following information after getting the name of the file:

HEADER
pack type------ 0
number bands----------- 10
number cols,rows------- 3510, 1760
starting coordinate --- 1, 1
map type -------------- 0
number classes -------- 0
area ------------------ 0.000000 N
map coordinate -------- 0.000000, 0.000000
pixel size ------------ 1.000000, 1.000000

Since "number of classes", "area", and "map coordinate" are all suspiciously
equal to zeroes, I wonder if this is a clue as to the problem.  Where does it
get this information? From the Erdas file header?  I notice that r.in.erdas
takes an optional parameter called "erdas trailer file name", but I don't have
such a file-- do I need one?

Can anyone suggest what the problem might be? I am running Grass 4.0 on a Sun
Sparcstation under SunOS 4.1.
       /\
  jim /--\
     /    \
Jim Aanstoos                  Research Triangle Institute
Internet: aanstoos%louie at rcc.rti.org
  Bitnet: aanstoos%louie at rti.bitnet