Info about GRASS Users' Conference

Chris C Rewerts rewerts at ecn.purdue.edu
Tue Feb 18 17:51:00 EST 1992

>From lists-owner at amber.cecer.army.mil Tue Feb 18 17:45:07 1992
>From: shapiro at zorro.cecer.army.mil (Michael Shapiro)
>Subject: Info about GRASS Users' Conference
>
>Gary S. Wagoner (303-969-2595) is Conference Coordinator
>Meredith McCarthy (217-352-6511 ext 572) is Registration Coordinator.
>
>Call either of these people for information about the conference.

thanks.

on another note, I am putting the finishing touches on a grass
program I needed for my work. I made it generic so that others
could use it.... I will include the man page below.

It might need someone better versed in grass programming (uh, like
yourself) to take a look at it before the world tries. If you
are interested and have time, let me know. Otherwise I may keep it
to myself for awhile...

Chris Rewerts

-----------------man page----------------------
.TH d.linegraph
.SH NAME
\fId.linegraph \fR\- Generates and displays simple line graphs in the active
graphics monitor display frame.
.br
.I "(GRASS Display Program)"
.SH SYNOPSIS
\fBd.linegraph\fR
.br
\fBd.linegraph help\fR
.br
\fBd.linegraph \fBx_file\*=\fIname\fR  \fBy_file\*=\fIname\fR[,\fIname\fR,...] \fR[\fBdirectory\*=\fIname\fR] [\fBy_color\*=\fIoption\fR[,\fIoption\fR,...]\fR] [\fBx_title\*=\fIvalue\fR] [\fBy_title\*=\fIvalue\fR] [\fBtitle\*=\fIvalue\fR] [\fBtitle_color\*=\fIoption\fR]
.SH DESCRIPTION
\fId.linegraph\fR is a primitive program to draw simple x,y line graphs
based on numerical data contained in separate files.
.LP
\fBParameters:\fR
.IP \fBx_file\*=\fIname\fR 8
Name of file with data for the X axis of graph.
.IP \fBy_file\*=\fIname\fR[,\fIname\fR,...] 8
Name of file(s) with data for the Y axis of graph. Up to ten Y inputs can be
used.
.br
.PP
\fIData file format\fR
.br
The X and Y data files for the graph are essentially a column of numbers in each
file, with one input number per line. The other primary requirement
is a two line
"header". The number on the first line should be the maximum value to be found
in the file. The number on the second line should be the number of lines of
data to follow.
The program expects that each X value has a corresponding Y value,
therefore the number of lines in each data input file should be the same.
Essentially, the X data becomes the X axis reference to which the
Y data is plotted as a line. Therefore, the X data should be a
monotonically increasing progression (\fIi.e. "1,2,3,..."; "0, 10, 100,
1000,..."\fR).
If multiple Y data files are used, the Y axis scale will be based on the
set of Y data with the largest maximum value, and all other Y data given will
be graphed according to that Y scale. Therefore, if multiple Y data inputs are
used with dissimilar units, the graph produced comparing the two will be
deceptive.
.IP \fBdirectory\*=\fIname\fR 8
Path to the directory where the input files are located. If this option is not
used, the \fId.linegraph\fR looks for files in the current directory.
Example format: \fBdirectory\*=\fI/usr/grass/data/graph\fR
.IP \fBy_color\*=\fIoption\fR[,\fIoption\fR,...]\fR] 8
Color to be used for drawing the lines in the graph. If multiple Y data
files are used, an \fBequal\fR number of colors may be used to control
the colors of the lines. Colors will be assigned to Y data in respect
to the sequence of instantiation on the command line. Options are
listed below. By default, a series of colors will be chosen by the
program if none are provided upon invocation.
.IP \fBtitle_color\*=\fIoption\fR 8
The color to be used for titles, axis lines, tics, and scale numbers.
Default is "\fIwhite\fR".
.br
.PP
\fIColor options:\fR red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet,
magenta, brown, gray, white, and black.
.IP \fBx_title\*=\fIvalue\fR 8
Title to describe X data. Will be centered beneath the graph. Default
is no title. See \fBNOTES\fR section (below) for a format caveat for
multi-word titles.
.IP \fBy_title\*=\fIvalue\fR 8
Title to describe Y data. Will be centered beneath the X data title.
Default is no title. See \fBNOTES\fR section (below) for a format caveat for
multi-word titles. In the case of graphs with multiple lines, one
may wish to use more specific title placement by using the
\fBd.text\fR or \fBd.label\fR programs.
.IP \fBtitle\*=\fIvalue\fR 8
Title to describe the graph. Will be centered over the top of graph.
multi-word titles.
.br
.SH "NOTES"
Since the command line parser is not amiable to multiple word
inputs, to input titles of more than one word, use the underscore
character ("_") to represent spaces (" "). Example:
"\fBtitle\*=\fICensus_data_1990\fR" would be printed over the graph as
"\fICensus data 1990\fR".
.SH "SEE ALSO"
.I d.INTRO,
.I d.frame,
.I d.text,
.I d.label,
and
.I parser
.SH "AUTHOR"
Chris Rewerts, Agricultural Engineering, Purdue University