Grass source

Rob Knauerhase rob at zorro.cecer.army.mil
Tue Feb 25 17:24:47 EST 1992

In an E-mail message, Conn Copas said:
>I have a small question on the ftp site, which is probably best answered by
>mail. Back in October, there was a series of split source code files labelled
>xaa-h, which we copied but never used. Recently, we copied the unsplit code,
>and noticed that xaa-h have been withdrawn. Did we miss anything ?

Not a thing.  The split version (which is still hanging around on the old
FTP site) was just that -- GRASS split up so people could get it in chunks.

However, once you got all the bits there, you had to reassemble them somewhere
anyway, so there was no net savings in disk space.  Also, the reliablilty
of TCP networks (plus whatever verification FTP does, I forget how it checks)
prompted us to just make the whole file available in one fell swoop.

So if you have grass4.0.cpio.Z, you have everything but the updates.

Rob
--
Rob Knauerhase [rob at amber.cecer.army.mil] Office of Grass Integration,
Construction Engineering Research Labs, US Army Corps of Engineers (USA-CERL)