Grass on CD from Yong Minds

Lee Thomas olo at ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
Mon Jul 13 12:01:07 EDT 1992

These are the problems we have after Installing Young Minds' GRASS4.0 CD.

(IBM RISC System 6000 320H, AIX 3.2.1, 32 Mb RAM & 64 Mb swap space)

DISPLAY FUNCTIONS:

1)      * d.zoom?   - If the graphics window is resized using the mouse the
                      image currently displayed is kept. However, if I try to
                      zoom in on an image the graphics window is killed and
                      I get the following error:

             "X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
              Major opcode of failed request:  73 (X_GetImage)
              Minor opcode of failed request:  0
              Resource id in failed request:  0x600003
              Serial number of failed request:  10606
              ERROR eof from graphics driver."

IMAGE PROCESSING:

2)      * i.pca     - Every time I run this I get a WARNING: Too many
                      iterations in Jacobi routine, output may be
                      invalid. The eigen values of the transformation
                      matrix above the diagonal are n*e+01 to n*e-01
                      generally. The WARNING message suggests that if
                      these values are not close to zero the Jacobi
                      analysis has failed possibly invalidating the o/p.

                    - If a large region of the image (e.g. 1/4 SPOT scene)
                      is selected for principle components analysis i.pca
                      crashes out of the program with a G_malloc: out of memory
                      before I even get to the warning about the PCA matrix.

3)      * i.rectify - Trying to run this program -choosing the analysis option
                      produces a G_malloc error.

VECTOR DATA CAPTURE AND PROCESSING:

4)      * v.support - When I patch together two vector maps created by
                      heads-up digitizing and try to create the required
                      dig_plus file by running v.support I get the following
                      error upon trying to display the output (from v.support):

                      Out of Memory.

                      I can display the two vector files prior to and post
                      to v.patch with no problems. The problem starts after
                      I build their topology using v.support.

5)      * v.to.rast - Will not execute unless v.support has been run first on the
                      vector file. Tried conversion of vector no v.support, vector
                      patched files with no v.support - both failed either with
                      out-of-memory errors or with prompt to run v.support first.