questions concerning grass 4.0

Chaitanya S. Rajguru rajguruc at vttcf.cc.vt.edu
Fri Jul 17 14:38:21 EDT 1992

> I'm a Grass 4.0 beginner and would like to make some questions to experienced
> users. I'm not on the mailing list so whomever answers my questions should
> send me a mail to:
>
> leticia at gizzard.hwr.arizona.edu
>
> First, I'd like to know how to create areas from a dxf file digitized with
> Autocad. The dxf file contains just lines, but the lines enclose soil type
> areas. I want also to be able to tag attributes to those areas.
>

> Thanks,
>

> Leticia Vionnet
> Graduate Student
> Department of Hydrology and Water Resources
> University of Arizona
> Tucson, AZ 85716
	We have written an extended version of v.in.dxf to convert some of
the layers in the AutoCAD DXF file into line vectors, and some into area
vectors. That should help. I was about to check with the Office of GRASS
Integration about testing this program and sharing it. If you need it in a
hurry, I could send you the files as I have.

	Another way to do it (the hard way) would be to import the file
with v.in.dxf into ascii line vector files, and then go in and edit the
dig_ascii and dig_att files to make them into area vector files. (Ref.:
GRASS programmers' manual.)

-Raj

			Chaitanya S. Rajguru

Mobile And Portable Radio		 rajguruc at vttcf.cc.vt.edu
  Research Group			 raj at mprg1.mprg.ee.vt.edu
Dept. of Electrical Engg.		 (703) 231-4160
VPI&SU (Virginia Tech)