starting GRASS

Michael Shapiro shapiro at zorro.cecer.army.mil
Fri Jul 31 11:37:46 EDT 1992

The problem may be with your unix setup. The setting of the  TERM
variable  to  sun-cmd, or sun, or xterm, must refer to a database
of  ascii  terminal  capabilities.   These  are   in   the   file
/etc/termcap. The other things you tried - XDRIVER, sunview - are
not ascii terminal capabilites, but  GRASS  graphics  drivers  so
they   aren't   appropriate   requests.   I   suspect  that  your
/etc/termcap either doesn't have sun-cmd or that  you  have  been
bitten  by a subtle "feature" of the termcap logic: you also have
the variable TERMCAP set as well. If TERMCAP is  set,  then  Unix
won't look in /etc/termcap but attempt to take its info from what
TERMCAP has.  Try this:

	unsetenv TERMCAP         # if you are using /bin/csh
	TERMCAP=;export TERMCAP  # if you are using /bin/sh

before running grass. Then wahtever  you  set  TERM  to  look  in
/etc/termcap to see that in fact there is entry for the TERM type
you pick.

|	I just finished compiling GRASS4.0 on a Sun SPARCstation 1 and have a
|few questions. It starts but I don't get past the start-up screen - the problem
|is with TERM as you can see from the copy of my session (included below). My
|usual environment has term=sun-cmd which doesn't seem acceptable, but then
|nothing else seemed to work either. I looked at
|	grass4.0/src/display/devices/monitorcap/monitorcap
|and all entries were commented out so I uncommented the entry for sunview and
|started GRASS again but had the same problem. Did this need to be uncommented
|before I ran GISGEN? Any help would be appreciated.
|
|			Sincerely,
|				jack hurlbut
|

|/* Below is the output from starting GRASS */
|

|WELCOME TO GRASS              Version 4.0         Summer 1991
|
|   1) Have at your side all available GRASS tutorials
|      - For getting started, try to duplicate the session
|        outlined in: "GRASS Tutorial: GIS Tool Access"
|
|   2) When working on your location, the following materials
|      are extremely useful:
|      - A topo map of your area
|      - Current catalog of available computer maps
|
|   3) Please mail any comments to:  cerl!grass
|

|Hit RETURN to continue
|
|Type sun-cmd unknown
|TERM = (unknown) vt100
|Type vt100 unknown
|TERM = (unknown) sun
|Type sun unknown
|TERM = (unknown) xterm
|Type xterm unknown
|TERM = (unknown) xterms
|Type xterms unknown
|TERM = (unknown) XTERM
|Type XTERM unknown
|TERM = (unknown) XTERMS
|Type XTERMS unknown
|TERM = (unknown) XDRIVER
|Type XDRIVER unknown
|TERM = (unknown) SUNVIEW
|Type SUNVIEW unknown
|TERM = (unknown) sunview
|Type sunview unknown
|TERM = (unknown) xdriver
|Type xdriver unknown
|TERM = (unknown) openwindow
|Type openwindow unknown
|TERM = (unknown) openwindows
|Type openwindows unknown
|TERM = (unknown) OPENWINDOW
|Type OPENWINDOW unknown
|TERM = (unknown) OPENWINDOWS
|Type OPENWINDOWS unknown
|TERM = (unknown)

Michael Shapiro                        U.S. Army CERL
email:   shapiro at zorro.cecer.army.mil  Environmental Division
phone:   (217) 352-6511  ext 526       P.O. Box 9005
fax:     (217) 373-7222                Champaign, Ill. 61826-9005