Getting archived files

Kenneth R Brownfield brownfld at zorro.cecer.army.mil
Fri Jul 31 16:30:47 EDT 1992

From: Dan Hough

|I am still having trouble receiving archived files.  I used the
|GET command for Arc-1-92.Z.  I saved the message I received to a
|file.  After stripping off the mail header and trailer info, I
|had a data set of 623 rows and 61 columns.  I downloaded this as
|a binary file to my SUN IPX.  When I tried to uncompress this
|file, I got the message:
|Arc-1-92.Z:  dataset not in compressed format
|Any help would be appreciated.

The files that our list manager software sends out are uuencoded.  It has to
encode binary files (e.g. compressed files) in a 7-bit ASCII format.  To
properly recover the archives, save the file that our list software sends you
as "Arc-1-92.uu".  Then do the following:

     uudecode < Arc-1-92.uu > Arc-1-92.Z
     uncompress Arc-1-92

If you have any questions, please feel free to send mail to me at

     lists-owner at moon.cecer.army.mil

--
                                                        Ken.
                                           brownfld at zorro.cecer.army.mil
Kenneth R. Brownfield                     lists-owner at moon.cecer.army.mil
Office of GRASS Integration,               ftp-admin at moon.cecer.army.mil
United States Army Corps of Engineers           (217) 352-6511 x572
Construction Engineering Research Laboratory