Can't start xgrass

Kurt Buehler kurt at zorro.cecer.army.mil
Fri Jun 26 08:15:13 EDT 1992

> Date: Thu, 25 Jun 92 20:32:48 +0200
> From: Claus Huettermann <srb180 at GINA.UNI-MUENSTER.DE>
> To: grassu-list at amber.cecer.army.mil
> Subject: Can't start xgrass
>
> Hallo,
> I have just installed xgrass without any problems, but I can't start it !!!
> When I try it, I get the following message :
>
> Setting GIS_LOCK failed; not enough memory.
>
> I can't believe it. We have a SUN SPARCstation IPX with 40MB memory and I
> don't think that there are too many processes running.
> Can anybody help us, please ?! It's really urgent.

Yes, you *must* make the changes detailed in README.PUTENV, here they are
for your reading pleasure:
------------README.PUTENV--------------
The GRASS gis library has a conflict with the routine putenv().
On System V machines, XGRASS will build just fine, but when running
xgrass, the program complains when trying to set an environment
variable.  This is because the gis library version of putenv is being
used instead of the standard one.  The gis lib version must be removed
in order to get a correct link.  This bug has appeared on an SVR4
machine (an OKIstation 7300), as well as a Data General Aviion and
Sun SPARCStations.

This bug has been fixed in CERL's official source code.

To make the needed change, look in the directory where your GRASS source
code lies.  Then look in src/libes/gis/putenv.c.

The routine putenv should be renamed to G_putenv.  Change the function
declaration, as well as the comment at the top of the file.