hexagonal grid

Michael Shapiro shapiro at zorro.cecer.army.mil
Mon Nov 2 13:30:21 EST 1992

What is the interest in hexagonal grids? GRASS doesn't use them.

Of course if you had a system that used hexagonal grids you could use
a simple resampling to shift every other row one half cell to the right
(or left) and that would create a hexagonal grid.

If you instead of thinking of raster "grids" you think about the "center"
of each grid cell, then rasters look like a collection of points.
Assocated with each point are all the other points in the plane which
lie closer to the point than to any of the other points in the raster.
If the points look like this:

	x       x        x        x

	x       x        x        x

	x       x        x        x

Then you get a rectagular grid. If they look like this:

	x       x        x        x

	    x       x        x        x

	x       x        x        x

Then you get a hexagonal (or square) grid.

|Does any one know anything about producing a hexagonal grid overlay ???
|
|I have no knowledge of this type of grid and am trying to find out
|how to produce such, Is it possible in GRASS??  Any response appreciated.
|

|Teresa (lewis!teresa at cerl.cecer.army.mil)

Michael Shapiro                        U.S. Army CERL
email:   shapiro at amber.cecer.army.mil  Office of GRASS Integration
phone:   (217) 373-7277                P.O. Box 9005
fax:     (217) 373-7222                Champaign, Ill. 61826-9005