installation problems on Sun 4

Chris C Rewerts rewerts at ecn.purdue.edu
Thu Nov 19 16:48:04 EST 1992

>From grass-lists-owner at max.cecer.army.mil Thu Nov 19 15:26:06 1992
>
>We've been trying to get grass 4.0 running on a Sun4 server, with several
>Sparcs as terminals.  The basic program is running, but there are some
>problems.  Can anyone offer some advice?
>
>We are having some permission problems.  I have a data set in my home
>directory.  Others members of my group have been unable to access those
>files with grass, even though they have full UNIX permission and I turned
>on the grass permission for that data set.
>
>--
>Michael Zajac (Dept of Landscape Architecture)
>University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, MB R3T 2N2
>phone:  (204) 474 6449

[sorry folks, this got a bit long - I would have sent email directly
to the sender, but I want to see if anyone else has comments on this
topic. I am sure others have come up with different ways to manage
multiple user access to a database, and I would like to hear about
them.]

I'll take a shot at the permission question. It seems that a user
can't use a mapset as their $MAPSET unless they *own* it.
Group or world permissions won't do it.

One option is to have a GRASS login account that all can use, and
individuals can have separate mapsets in that account.