one answer about sharing files

Steve Franklin franklin at ug.cs.dal.ca
Fri Nov 20 09:48:18 EST 1992

> > I also get an error when trying to use the d.display command using MacX on
> >a macintosh as an x-server.  The error message reads:
> >       Xerror of failed request: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
> >       Major opcode of failed request:  78 (X_CreateColormap)
> >       Serial number of failed request:  13
>
> 	We have the same problem with an PC-XView (PC X Server) and I would
> be glad to have few answers.

Sorry to recognize this thread so far ahead folks. We too struggled
relentlessly getting GRASS to work on MacX. Unfortunately , our efforts were
relatively fruitless. Apparently one member has MacX running on his Mac, and
I'm not quite sure how he'd do it. We had too many complications with the
mapping scheme of MacX versus Grass... We ran into this conflict with other
various items as well (including CARIS - A Canadian Hydrographic package).
   Our solution has no answers that you may like to hear. We switched to the
flawless performance of eXodus II. This X-emulation package runs in tandem
with GRASS without a hitch. The speed degradation is noticeable, but
certainly bearable, and has few problems associated with it. If you're
interested in the address for eXodus so you can ask them a few specific
questions, then feel free to mail me at franklin at ug.cs.dal.ca for the
address.
   Now, with respect to the solution, I"m not so sure I can help you. First
of all, I believe that some changed the window manager schema. As well, you
must tweak the rooted and color-depth settings of your software. I would try
rooted first of course, and assure you are in 8-bit mode. This is by no
means certain, but merely a suggestion for starters. If none of this
provides any luck, then by all means mail me back with more specific
questions.

Good luck
   Steve Franklin