Extracting SPOTView images.

Michael Shapiro shapiro at zorro.cecer.army.mil
Mon Oct 5 10:15:11 EDT 1992

(1) Current design requires extraction to an xy location. It does not
    require rectification before you use the image. You may do
    classifications on the raw image and then rectify those. Rectifying
    before and then  running analysis gives you a more complete access to
    the gis layers whcih relate to the image (vector and raster) but comes
    with the cost of resampling your image.

(2) If you really want to extract directly into UTM location and have
    data already georeferenced you could do one of two things:

    (a) extract into an xy location and use unix commands to move all the
        data (raster as well as group) into the UTM location;
    (b) Remove the I_must_be_imagery_projection() call from the programs
	which extract images and this will allow you to put images directly
	into whatever location you wish. Be warned that the extraction
	utilities (with perhaps the exception of i.tape.other) may not know
	about rectified imagery.
    Note: you will have to run r.support to create a proper header for the
    images

|Question 1:
|	Do we always extract the SPOT images from 1/2" tape (SPOTView) into an (x,y)
|location and then rectify it ? I'll probably call the company on Monday but in the
|mean time it would be great if some one can clarify this.
|
|Question 2:
|	Is there anyway one can buy a rectified image and then extract the image
|from the tape into an UTM location ?
|
|Thankyou,
|Laxmi P. Musunur (LP)

Michael Shapiro                        U.S. Army CERL
email:   shapiro at zorro.cecer.army.mil  Environmental Division
phone:   (217) 373-7277                P.O. Box 9005
fax:     (217) 373-7222                Champaign, Ill. 61826-9005