help - s.surf.tps "segmentation fault" error

Kenn Gardels gardels at ced.berkeley.edu
Thu Oct 8 02:34:15 EDT 1992

I have been giving s.surf.tps a real run for its money the last couple
of weeks, and have had no problems like you describe (I'm working on a
DECStation).  Couple of observations that might help generally, and
could possibly do strange memory things on the RS6000 (based on other
AIX problems I've heard about):

1 - you may want to add a slight (1 or less) smoothing factor, at
least to see if that fixes your overshoots.

2 - try to prevent extrapolation of z values by adding a grid of
constant values (probably 0) in a donut around your real data.  I know
this sounds kludgy, but it seems to make the algorithm behave better.

3 - don't use a region definition to either limit the processed area
or reduce extrapolation - it creates unpredictable edge effects.  If
you need to reduce your total number of sample points, mask the site
list in s.menu, save it in a new site file, and use that.

4 - try reducing dmin down to the minimum or nearly so.  You may be
throwing away so many points that what's left is not representative of
the terrain, and that makes the algorithm unstable.  Just guessing on
this one...

5 - find an AIX wizard.

Good luck!!!

-kenn