v.digit

Michael Shapiro shapiro at zorro.cecer.army.mil
Tue Oct 20 16:12:33 EDT 1992

(1) your path should NOT contain /usr/gis/sun3/etc. That may cause
programs to run which should only be run behind the scenes.  But this
would not be the cause of your problem.

(2) check permissions on /usr/gis/sun3/etc/ itself. They should be
readable and "executable" for all three sets: dwxr-x-r-x
(you want owner write access so the owner of GRASS can put things in this
directory, and you need read r-x for everyone so they can read the directory
and find things in it, like digitcap).

|We are trying to run v.digit on a Sun 3/60.  It compiled successfully, but
|whenever we try to run it we get an error message stating that the digitcap
|file is not accessable.
|
|We set up the digitcap file in /usr/gis/sun3/etc, and configured it exactly
|as described in the GRASS 4.0 installation notes.  Ownership and
|permissions are also set as per the installation notes.  Needless to say,
|/usr/gis/sun3/etc is on the path.  I've even tried it with the permissions
|set wide open, just in case, but without success.  The "which" command
|finds the digitcap file just fine, but v.digit cannot seem to.  There must
|be some simple reason for this, but I've racked my brain and am probably
|missing the obvious.
|
|After attempting to start v.digit and getting the error message, the
|commandline prompt returns and everything _appears_ normal, but all sorts
|of wierd things happen.  Other programs, such as g.manual, fail to run
|properly.  Vi and grep bomb as well, citing insufficient memory.  The only
|way to repair the damage is to exit GRASS entirely and start over, and GRASS
|also reports insufficient memory on exit and fails to display the list of
|files in the current mapset.
|
|Help!!
|
|					Mike Camann
|					camann at athena.cs.uga.edu

Michael Shapiro                        U.S. Army CERL
email:   shapiro at zorro.cecer.army.mil  Environmental Division
phone:   (217) 373-7277                P.O. Box 9005
fax:     (217) 373-7222                Champaign, Ill. 61826-9005