GRASS, XV, X (revisit

John E. Parks JEPARKS at qvarsa.er.usgs.gov
Fri Oct 23 09:34:42 EDT 1992

-------------------
] I have tried Grass with xv and the results are lot of
] lightening on the screen, I get the color of the map to be different
] when I try to run grass and xv at the same time. If I have to view a map
] seperately then using pbm may be a good idea but if I am running something
] dynamically, in other if a map is created and displayed immediately then
] xv alters the color table of the GRass maps.
-------------------
1st  - You're dealing with two pieces of software which both use private
       color maps.  X-windows switches out those colormaps everytime you
       move from one window to another (at least this is what I presume
       is happening on your display).
2nd  - My original thoughts on this were not to address the problems of
       two separate programs (they're apples and oranges) but rather to
       invite the merging of the two into a GRASS interface.  Hence one
       private colormap with one piece of software with all those nice
       little doo-dads that I'm sure impressed you with XV.

Regards,

   /  )      /          /  )     Geographer - U.S. Geological Survey
  /   / _   /_  _      /__/      Water Resources Division, Caribbean Dist.
  (__/_(_)_/ /_/ )_   /   _      Niskey Mail Box P-18, 8000 Nisky Center
    /                            Charlotte Amalia, St. Thomas, VI 00802
   /                             phone: (809) 774-4307 St. Thomas
John E. Parks                    f a x: (809) 777-8910
[jeparks at qvarsa.er.usgs.gov]  or [john at tang.uark.edu] Internet