Postscript and plotter files

Michael Shapiro shapiro at zorro.cecer.army.mil
Tue Oct 27 11:29:20 EST 1992

I don't know the answer for mapgen, but  they  the  way  you  get
PostScript  from p.map is to select the "ppm" driver and then run
p.map.  This  will  create  a  "paint.ppm"  file  in  your   HOME
directory.  You must then use other filters/tools to convert this
file to postscript. You can use the pbmplus software (distributed
with  grass,  but  not  automatically compiled). pbmplus converts
between numerous raster formats and it has  its  own  formats  as
well.  One of theses format is "ppm" (portable pix map) and there
is a program among the suite of pbmplus tools which converts  ppm
files  to  postcript  files. (It used to be called ppmtops, but I
think now it is pnmtops - you'll have to read the documenation on
pbmplus). The paint.ppm file is in the "ppm" format understood by
the pbmplus software.

There will be some new "p.map" like tools  called  ps.map  to  be
released with 4.1 that will create postscript output directly.

|Where in the GRASS documentation is there mention of generating PostScript
|and stand-alone plotter files with either p.map or mapgen?

Michael Shapiro                        U.S. Army CERL
email:   shapiro at zorro.cecer.army.mil  Environmental Division
phone:   (217) 373-7277                P.O. Box 9005
fax:     (217) 373-7222                Champaign, Ill. 61826-9005

SpellingList
CERL
P.O
PostScript