Hardware platform

gcolello at biosphere.Stanford.EDU gcolello at biosphere.Stanford.EDU
Wed Sep 2 14:23:37 EDT 1992

> Our office is going to be setting up a some hardware for a GIS
system(GRASS) but
> we need to determine which workstation to run it on.  Apparently,
GRASS runs on
> SUNS's with no problem but we have a NeXT in house also.  Is anyone
running
> GRASS on a NeXT, or has anyone attempted to run it on a NeXT?

> Wayne Gibson
> Oregon State University

The Next cannot run GRASS at present. I understand there are minor
problems with some of the system utilities used by GRASS on the Next
under NextStep 2.0. These problems should be fixed under NextStep 3.0
(status: currently being pressed onto CD-ROM). There is a fellow at
Next who is championing this activity. The Next makes a dandy remote
X-window device with the Next CoXist Application. We use it this way
all the time. However, we run GRASS itself on our Suns.

Greg Colello
Carnegie Institution, Department of Plant Biology
Stanford University
gcolello at biosphere.stanford.edu