m.dem.examine

Timothy Keitt tkeitt at algodones.unm.edu
Tue Sep 15 13:27:27 EDT 1992

We just installed the latest version of m.dem.examine (and m.dem.extract)
from the grass ftp site. Here's some output from m.dem.examine:

file #1
KNOXVILLE - W                    TN,NC,S

min elevation: 248.000000  max elevation: 2009.000000

ns_res: 0.000000  ew_res: 0.000000
# of columns in file =   0

file north UTM = 129600.000000
file south UTM = 126000.000000
file east UTM = 0.000000
file west UTM = -302400.000000

(outside the current geographic region)
tape min elevation:248  tape max elevation:2009
Mapset <dem> in Location <smoky>

I've verified that the DEM file is in the correct format according to 1987
USGS document. The file is a dump of the origional tape.  No carriage returns
or line feeds were added. Is there something different about the format of
this DEM than what grass expects? I noticed that all of the coordinates are
listed as UTM, however the coordinates in the DEM are all Lat-Lon. Does
m.dem.examine and m.dem.extract require the DEM file to have UTM coordinates?
Also notice that the program failed completely to read the east boundary
coordinate, reporting 0.0 instead of the correct value.

I'm just learning grass so I do not know if this is a bug or whether I'm doing
something wrong. If these programs work for you please let me know. Also if
you have DEM's that have been succesfully been read, I would greatly appreciate
a dump of the header information (~first 1K ascii bytes). That way I can
compare that format to the format we have.

Thanks,

tkeitt at algodones.unm.edu