GRASS and PC-X-Servers

Joachim Wiesel Ext. 2316 wiesel at ipf.bau-verm.uni-karlsruhe.de
Thu Sep 17 10:02:22 EDT 1992

Hi,

I thought, it would be helpful for some people, to report some of our
experiences concerning GRASS4.0 and X-Terminals/PC-X-Servers:

We run GRASS on SparcStations, SUNOS 4.1.1B, OW3.0.

We have tested:

NCD 17c    (X-Terminal)
PC-XVIEW for DOS
XVision 4.1  for Windows 3.1
HCL/EXceed for DOS

HCL/EXceed for Windows is currently under evaluation.

-------------------
386SXes/16MHz, 4MB Memory and ET4000 VGA are totally inadequate with
Windows 3.1.  Upgrade to a ATI Graphics Vantage (1024x768, 256 colors,
8514/A mode) improved Windows SIGNIFICANTLY.

HCL/EXceed/w and  Exceed/DOS have problems with colors and the X-monitor.
PC-Xview for DOS and ATI/GV are useable even on a lowly 386SX.

Best product is XVision version 4.1!!

On a 486/33MHZ and 8MB RAM, ATI Graphics Vantage and Windows 3.1 it is
SUPERFAST. It compares equally to the NCD 17c X-Terminal!. No problems
with colors and the X-Monitor, installes like a charm. It even allows
GRAPHICS cut and paste between X and MS-Windows (you can cut a peace
from the GRASS monitor and paste it into Paintbrush ...).

RECOMMENDED!

Joachim

--

Joachim Wiesel, Institut fuer Photogrammetrie und Fernerkundung,
Universitaet  Karlsruhe, Englerstr. 7, D-7500 Karlsruhe, Germany
Internet: wiesel at ipf.bau-verm.uni-karlsruhe.de