Using grass for dynamic information, vector attributes

W. Fredrick Limp fred at kirk.uark.edu
Tue Sep 22 16:49:40 EDT 1992

In a recent GRASS-U message Peter Olin asks...>

  stuff deleted ----

> 	I have looked at Grass for a while now, and to me it seems as
> 	if the high level programs are best suited for displaying
> 	statical data in a batch-like manner. The modular design for
> 	graphics drivers seems to make all drawing somewhat slow. The
> 	vector drawing seems pretty basic with small possibilities for
> 	changing appearance of the vectors.  Updating parts of the map
> 	seems difficult.

Since this will be of interest to many I have posted to the list.
I am assuming Kurt Buhler is busy and won't respond so this is for
he and the X team at CERL...

A new "direct to x" graphics system is under development at CERL and
will be part of a new (??) version of GRASS.  It addresses many (all?)
of the problems associated with the virtual device/fifo system used
up to this time.  Interactive annotation, drop and drag etc etc..

I'm not sure if Kurt would welcome questions at this time (4.1 release and
all) but I am assuming that he (or someone) will be posting details
at the proper time.  Hang in there GRASS fans -- it just keeps getting
better... oh yea ask about interactive 3-d in ordinary x too...

--
W. Fredrick Limp,   Director                     FAX: (501) 575-3846
CAST, Center for Advanced Spatial Technologies   TEL: (501) 575-6159
Fayetteville AR 72701                             fred at kirk.uark.edu