moving raster maps across UTM zone boundaries

Fred Ogden flogden at hml.uiowa.edu
Thu Apr 15 12:45:53 EDT 1993

Hello fellow GRASS users.

	I've been fortunate in the past to have data sets well within UTM zones.
Unfortunately, that happy period is at an end.  I am dealing with county soils
and land use data for Oklahoma which is split between zones 14 and 15.  What I
want to do is bring the raster map for a county in zone 15, and patch it with
a raster map in zone 14.  I've tried this procedure:

1) used r.poly to convert the zone 15 map to a vector map.
2) used v.out.ascii to convert the grass vector map to ascii.
3) used m.u2ll to convert the ascii vector UTM map to lat.-lon. coordinates
4) used m.ll2u to convert lat-lon. ascii vector map to zone 14 utm coordinates
5) used v.in.ascii to convert new zone14 ascii vector map to grass vector map.

Now, I'm stuck.  The manual hints that I should apply v.digit to re-assign
attributes to the vector map before using v.to.rast.  BUT, I'm dealing with
_thousands_ of cells.  Is there a better way to do this whole process?  Or
does anyone have any suggestions?  I suspect this question may be posted
frequently, but I only recently began monitoring this discussion.  Thanks in
advance for any and all replies.

Sincerely,

Fred L. Ogden
Iowa Institute of Hydraulic Research