GRASS / DTED

Greg Koerper greg at dubious.cor2.epa.gov
Wed Dec 1 12:17:18 EST 1993

> Subject: Help Wanted for DTED Image Conversion

> 	I am a new grass user. I have just installed version 4.1 on a
> SGI Indigo on the belief that I could use it read my extensive database
> of 1 degree DTED images.
>
> 	Unfortunately, after reading all the GRASS material that I could
> find, I still could not find a clear way of doing this. I have managed
> to use the m.dted.ex[tract/amine] routines to read from a pipped in
> DTED file, but the resultant output is not displayable.
>
> 	If someone knows how to do this, or better yet, has a tutorial
> written for how to do this, it would be greatly appreciated if they could
> share it with me.
>

> 	Thank you,
>
> 	Stephane Plante
> 	(splante at undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca)

You're going to need to use the m.rot90 and r.in.ll commands to convert the
output from m.dted.extract (a raw binary file) to a GRASS raster format.
There is a tutorial, but it is NOT easy to locate.  You will find it on the
GRASS ftp server, moon, as /grass/grass4.0/documents/tutorials/4.0/elev.ps.Z,
I believe.  Be sure to review the README at this directory level as well.

You may also need an updated version of dted.extract which works with unblocked
DTED files, but this is unclear from your message.  This, and a corrected version
of r.in.ll (r.in.ll.2.tar.Z), can be found at /grass/incoming.  The original
r.in.ll has an embedded error that can result in a one cell offset of the
data in the resulting GRASS raster.

greg

Greg Koerper                            Internet: greg at heart.cor.epa.gov
ManTech Environmental Technology, Inc.
US EPA Environmental Research Lab	voice:	(503) 754-4490
200 SW 35th St., JSB                    fax:    (503) 754-4338
Corvallis, OR   97333