r.in.erdas help

Bill Hargrove hnw at mtqgrass.ESD.ORNL.GOV
Thu Dec 2 08:41:23 EST 1993

Xin:

     I had the same problem recently with the 4.1 version of r.in.erdas.
Despite the fact that my erdas files were 7.2 version (they have to be for
the conversion to work), all i kept getting was a GRASS map with the right
size and UTM corners, but consisting of vertical stripes.

     I finally used an erdas command called DPDATA, which creates a binary
mapfile straightaway, which you can then move to the GRASS cell directory
and pair with the cellhd file that you already have.  I'm not sure that
this technique will work for multiple band erdas files, however.

     It may be of use to you to know that all erdas version files have a
header before the map information begins which consists of 128 bytes.  So,
you can strip the first 128 bytes off with dd if all else fails.

   ____                          Oak Ridge National Laboratory
    /  )      /  /      /  /     Environmental Sciences Division
   /--<   o  /  /      /--/      P.O. Box 2008, M.S. 6038
  /___/__<__/__/_     /  / _     Oak Ridge, TN  37830-6038
William W. Hargrove              (615) 574-1902
hnw at mtqgrass.esd.ornl.gov        (615) 576-8646 (fax)