Importing Elevation data from an ASCII format

Brian Culpepper brian at cast.uark.edu
Thu Dec 9 16:39:17 EST 1993

Tom Nelson writes:>

> with a sites file then do either s.surf.idw or s.surf.tps.
> Both create a surface file but tps takes a lot longer and with possibly better results.
> then r.contour which produces a vector contour map of interpolated contours from the
> surface file.

I will have to disagree with "do either s.surf.idw or s.surf.tps". These two
interpolation modules are NOT the same! If you are creating an elevation surface
then I believe s.surf.tps is the one to use, because all "sites" are equally
weighted, whereas ".idw" refers to inverse distance weighting. The ".idw" could
create unsatisfactory results. I suggest testing these two modules on a sample
dataset and comparing results.

A good reference is Helena Mitasova article in the Spring 1993 GRASSCLIPPINGS.

Hope this helps...

--
R. Brian Culpepper                                 Research Assistant
Center for Advanced Spatial Technologies           (fax) 501 575-3846
University of Arkansas                            brian at cast.uark.edu
Fayetteville, AR 72701