'remote' monitors with XDRIVER?

Ken Sibley sibley at ncg.scs.ag.gov
Mon Dec 20 11:47:04 EST 1993

> Hi everybody
>
> The current thread about twelve students using GRASS reminded me
> of a problem we have: we run GRASS on a SUN (SunOS 4.x) and we would
> like to use it remotely on other machines (e.g. HP).
> GRASS itself is no problem - xterm works fine. However, we can't
> open a monitor. Is there any way of passing a DISPLAY argument
> to XDRIVER so the monitor window appears on the local machine?
>
> Any pointers welcome (including hacks to the XDRIVER code)?
>
> Martin
> --
> Martin Ameskamp, Inst. f. Informatik I (Computing Dept.)
> Kiel University, Olshausenstr. 40, 24118 Kiel, Germany
> Fax: ++49 431 8804054, Voice: ++49 431 8804474,
> email: ma at informatik.uni-kiel.d400.de

This should not be a big deal.  We do this on a regular basis here.  We
run rlogin sessions, X-terminals and DOS PC's with X emulation software
to display grass sessions.

1) rlogin to machine you wish to run grass from.
2) set your DISPLAY environment variable.
3) start grass (any version).
4) check you DISPLAY variable as some people's login shell seems to
   reset this.  If it is ok then continue.  If it is incorrect the
   set DISPLAY variable again.
5) d.mon ...

Run grass as you normally would.

Ken Sibley