converting arc-info data to grass

Craig A. Miller cmiller at pnwg.wa.com
Wed Dec 29 08:18:42 EST 1993

On Wed, 29 Dec 1993 atterbury!robert at pnwg.wa.com wrote:

> HI, I have a file I received from USGS that is bedrock geology.  It is in
> Arc-info format.  The name of the file is bed_geol.e00.  I tried v.in.arc but
> I get an error message "WARNING: File could NOT be opened for reading".
> If any one knows how to convert this file please let m

You will need access to Arc/Info to bring it into GRASS.  You will first
need to import it into Arc/Info with the import command.  Then you will need
to export it in an ungenerate format in order to use the v.in.arc command.

It is a little more involved than the above.  Once you manage to bring it
into Arc/Info, send me a note and I will send you a copy of a series of
GUI based Arc Info Macros (AML's) that will make exporting the data to
GRASS a lot easier (ie.  It will execute all the ungenerate commands for you
and use sed and awk to clean the data up appropriately for v.in.arc.)

Good Luck.
-Craig

Craig A. Miller
Pacific Northwest Geographics