help with v.in.dxf

Daryl Ehrmantraut daryl at osiris.com
Wed Feb 17 17:27:29 EST 1993

>Hello GRASS users
>	I am trying to import small files from ROOTS to GRASS by exporting
>a ROOTS file to a .DBX format and then trying to use v.in.dxf
>The .dbx files are small.  Each map is a circle, broken into polygons each
>of which is labeled by an integer.  The lines are all snapped so things
>should be simple.  The .dbx file appears to contain all the information,
>polylines, points (for the vertices), and text (for the attributes), but
>when I run v.in.dxf, only a few of the attributes end up in the dig_attr
>file.
>	Can anyone suggest a solution to this problem?

One problem we ran into was the fact that many .dxf files have data specified in blocks. v.in.dxf does not support blocks; so with autocad manual in hand(dxf spec.) we hand edited all the blocks out and converted them into entities. All seemed to work afer that.

Also we ran into a situation where the layer names specified by some packages are not consistent with grass/unix because of special characters. These were ignored by the system as well. Once we changed the names, all worked well.

Daryl Ehrmantraut
Osiris Systems Corp.
daryl at osiris.com