dem extraction & examine

Dan Riker riker at rogue.geo.duke.edu
Fri Feb 19 14:38:54 EST 1993

Hello there, I hope you all are doing well.

I am still having problems reading in my dems.  This is the output from the command m.dem.examine. Note the resolution (0)

MINDEGO HILL,CA  BIG BASIN DEM  DLG-DEM

min elevation: 224.000000  max elevation: 2816.000000

ns_res: 0.000000  ew_res: 0.000000
# of columns in file =   809773872

file north UTM = 4136628.750000
file south UTM = 4122665.750000
file east UTM = 577600.937500
file west UTM = 566405.250000
-------------------------------

This is the outcome of the command m.dem.extract (using an exabyte tape, but the same shows for the 1/2 inch tape):
enter option > 1024

You have chosen:
  blocksize=1024
Is this correct? (y/n) [y]
Current Window Settings-----------------------------
rows:       1173
cols:       1167
north:      4130200.000000
south:      4095000.000000
east:       590000.000000
west:       555000.000000
ns_res:     30.008525
ew_res:     29.991431

Reading Elevation Tape...
ERROR: error reading tape

Mapset <PERMANENT> in Location <california>
GRASS 4.0 >

Does anyone have an idea about what is going on here?  I have heard rumors recently that GRASS and Sun Sparcstations don't get along.  Is that the problem?
I would sincerely appreciate any help on these matters.

Danimal