v.digit/v.support

Melissa Records records at zorro.cecer.army.mil
Thu Feb 25 10:36:54 EST 1993

In an E-mail message, Keith Mitchell wrote:

> We have a minor problem with running v.support
> on maps that have been worked on in v.digit.
> The ownership of the file under dig_att is
> converted to root and the group is converted
> to daemon; V.support can not write to the file
> in this state and exits with an error.  It
> is relatively easy to change the ownerships
> but this is rather crude and irritating.
> I'd appreciate the real solution.

Yikes!  I thought that this bug would have been fixed ages ago.
Sounds suspiciously what I ran across last year when testing out
a new installation of GRASS.  Here's the problem and solution
that we ended up using.  Maybe you have the same problem.

There appears to be some incorrect information in the GRASS 4.0
Installation Guide.  We discovered that when a person digitized,
the resulting files were ALWAYS owned by root, even though the
person was not logged in as root.  Mark Johnson was able to talk
us through a fix, namely, where in the installation guide it says
to:

  chown root */digit

it should really say:

  chown grass */digit.