No subject

Susan Stitt nps!susan at cerl.cecer.army.mil
Fri Jul 9 11:29:20 EDT 1993

>Hello:
>	I'm trying to import some ARC/INFO coverages to GRASS4.1 using the
>v.in.arc routine. Everything goes well until I run v.support and get this
>message:

>	PNT_TO_AREA failed: (709787, 4424528) (category 12)

>This happens on one coverage but not the other, even though the ungenerated
>files used as input to v.in.arc appear okay.  The result is a loss of that
>particular poly in the newly created GRASS vector file.
>	Is there another (better) way to convert ARC data? I will ultimately
>convert all to raster.
>
>Thanks
>Michael Killion  (killion at ukanvm.bitnet  or  mike at geogsun.geo.ukans.edu)

Michael,

This may be caused by a very small polygon relative to the stated scale of
the vector file.  If you reset the scale of the file (on the first screen
of v.digit) to a smaller number, then v.support may be able to successfully
attach the point to the polygon.  Have you checked that the point actually
falls within the polygon in question?  With only one polygon unattributed,
you could just reattribute this polygon from within v.digit, but if you
are having many polygons unattributed, then you may wish to try the scale
change.  Good Luck!

Susan Stitt
National Park Service - GIS Division  susan%nps at cerl.cecer.army.mil