interpolation

Darrell McCauley mccauley at ecn.purdue.edu
Fri Jul 9 18:48:25 EDT 1993

[followups to grassp-list, please]

Helena Mitasova (helena at zorro.cecer.army.mil) writes on 9 Jul 93:
>Before finishing this, I would like to let you know that because of
>anticipated future use of splines in various types of models we are in

looks like the jury has decided... but it's not written on stone tablets.
isn't it great to have source-code access?!

>a process of designing an GRASS interpolation library.

I would like to know a lot more about this proposed library. Is it
strictly for interpolation or does it include some more basic
statistical and matrix operations? I have felt that grass needed
more support for people doing these kinds of programs.

>flexibility both to us and to users and will allow to plug in various
>radial basis functions,  add the information on derivatives
>(got from data or modeling of processes like flow), use s.semivariogram

for s.semivar, I am using a matrix library called "meschach"
(available from netlib). For matrix computations, it has all of
the basic tools. There's even a text being prepared for it's use.
However, unlike Numerical Recipes, this code is freely distributable
(see the copyright for more details).

Anyhow, regarding s.semivar, I'm looking for a few people
who would be willing to give me some feedback on its design.
I won't promise a delivery date (learned that lesson), but
I will say that I'm much closer to having something distributable.
Volunteers?

>as I have a feeling that we have already taken too much space in this list.

I enjoy this much more than "'tool X' is giving me this error - what
do I do?" (though a valid question or subject :-)

--
James Darrell McCauley            Dept of Ag Engineering, Purdue Univ
internet: mccauley at ecn.purdue.edu West Lafayette, Indiana 47907-1146, USA