s.rand (Was: randomness)

Darrell McCauley mccauley at ecn.purdue.edu
Sat Jul 24 20:46:39 EDT 1993

s.rand *generates* random sites with your choice of rand(3),
drand48(3), or random(3). I'd like to add some more RNGs later, but if
anyone is interested, they can bang on this now. It is at
pasture.ecn.purdue.edu:pub/mccauley/grass/s.rand.tar.Z

I've only played with this under Solaris 1 (my compiler on Solaris 2
machines is broken at the moment).  If anyone has any comments or
problems compiling this under other OSs, let me know (i.e., I'm not
sure if other machines have all three of the RNGs that s.rand uses). I
also intend to do some Monte Carlo tests to see which RNG deviates the
least from a homogeneous Poisson process (later). Also to come is a
program to randomly select existing sites (based on point-to-nearest-
event distances).