Shorelines in TIGER

Malcolm Williamson malcolm at cast.uark.edu
Mon Jun 7 10:32:53 EDT 1993

Eric Kostello writes:

> Is there a way to distinguish/find shorelines with TIGER data?
>
> I ask because the legal boundaries of cities include water areas.
> The census tracts adjacent to water also include areas of water.
> This feature of the legal boundaries makes recognition of maps
> made from these boundaries rather difficult.

You can extract only those features that have Census Feature Class Codes (CFCC)
H01 (shoreline of perennial water feature) or H02 (shoreline of intermittent
feature) by using extract.line (GRASS4.0) or m.in.stf1.tape (GRASS4.1). If you
are unfamiliar with the usage of these tools, feel free to write me directly.
--
Malcolm D. Williamson - Research Assistant       E-mail: malcolm at cast.uark.edu
Center for Advanced Spatial Technologies      Telephone: (501) 575-6159