Running a graphics monitor on an x-terminal (cont.)

S. E. Walker guernsey at holstein.age.uiuc.edu
Mon Jun 14 12:55:42 EDT 1993

	Many thanks to those of you who responded to
my "9x15 font" question in trying to start a GRASS
graphics monitor on an x-terminal.  To recap, the problem
was that after logging in from the x-terminal, starting
up OpenWindows2.0, going into GRASS4.0, and trying to
start a graphics monitor, I got the error message that
the display device did not know font 9x15.

	Amit Parghi suggested adding the X11R5 fonts
directory to the font path with the "xset fp" command
and then using the "xlsfonts" command to see if the
9x15 font were now available.  I tried this, and indeed,
"xlsfonts" reveals "9x15" as available.  However, d.mon
still doesn't believe it and gives the same error message.

	Graham Dudley suggested changing the file
$GRASS_HOME/src/display/devices/XDRIVER/XDRIVER/Graph_Set.c
so that I define some available font, other than 9x15.  I tried
this and now get the message:

	Graphics driver [x0] started
	Please start graphics monitor <x0>.
	Error - Graphics monitor <x0> not running!

		etc.

	If anyone can give me other suggestions or
provide insight as to where/how XDRIVER looks for fonts,
I would certainly appreciate it.

Sharyl Walker
University of Illinois
Dept. of Agricultural Engineering