r.resample, r.coarsen

Jianping Xu jianp at ocean.rutgers.edu
Thu Jun 17 09:31:20 EDT 1993

Michael Shapiro wrote:

> GRASS only does nearest neighbor resampling, you're right.  Would you
> consider contributing r.coarsen?

I'd like to polish the source code and then send it to CERL. The current
r.coarsen is a ragged modification of r.neighbors, with variable names not
appropriate to r.coarsen... It was an ad hoc solution for our need in a
project.

Please note that my original post mentioned the bilinear resampling and cubic
convolution resampling. R.coarsen, too, does NOT include these two options.
I merely borrowed the neighborhood operation methods from r.neighbors for
aggregation. I believe a combination of r.coarsen and any of the resampling
methods - nearest neoghbor, bilinear, convolution - can solve most aggregation
problems. I may or may not try to code the other two resampling options
depending on my schedule and possible contributions to done by others.

I received more than dozen requests for the code since I post. I thank all
of you for your interest in the module, and look forward to hear your
comments and bug reports.

Jianping Xu
jianp at ocean.rutgers.edu