No subject

vieux at chief.ecn.uoknor.edu vieux at chief.ecn.uoknor.edu
Mon May 10 23:03:58 EDT 1993

Activities here at the Environmental Modeling and GIS Lab--
1. What model are you using with GRASS?
	We have written a C program that is an internally integrated
	program using grass libraries to perform surface runoff modeling.

2. Which data structure is more suited to the process, Vector or Raster?
	We have relied extensively on raster data structures for
	manipulation, analysis, and storage of model parameters.
	However, we extract finite element topology from the 8-directions
	aspect map. The topology is used for assembly of the system of
	equations that when solved, produces flow rates at every grid cell
	in the watershed.

3. What tools need to be developed in order to make GRASS more useable for
   hydrologic modeling?
	We agree with others that cry for floating point binary maps. After
	recoding soils maps into 5+ infiltration parameters we have more
	multiplication factors to keep track of than we can stand.

My purposes in asking for efforts dealing with hydrologic model and GRASS
integration was
1) To see what people were doing with GRASS,
2) To see what future GRASS tools are needed, and
3) To see what the needs are in the GRASS user community for
    integrated hydrologic models.

Some interesting patterns emerged from the survey.  I have taken the liberty to
summarize comments and make observations.

-GRASS must be changed so that modelers can use floating point binary cell maps.
-Zeroes must be allowed rather than treated as null values (no data).
-How many times is SCS or others going to pay for an interface to AGNPS.
-Most people interface with models by preparing an input file for
  execution by the model.