can't open file in v.in.arc

Timothy Keitt tkeitt at algodones.unm.edu
Tue May 11 15:36:57 EDT 1993

Hi,

I'm having a problem reading in ARC/INFO data using v.in.arc (grass
4.0).  When I enter a name for a "line file" to be imported I get a
message saying the file cannot be opened.  I checked the source and
it appears that fopen is returning NULL instead of a valid file
pointer.  I tried this on the test data supplied with the 4.0
release and with the data I am trying to import.  Has anyone else
encountered this problem?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim

Here's a segment of the code in v.in.arc:

    /* LINES FILENAME */
    done = 0;
    do {
            printf("\n LINES FILENAME\n");
            printf("Enter the name of the file created with the LINES\n");
            printf("option of the ARC/INFO Ungenerate command\n");
            printf("Hit RETURN to cancel request\n");
            printf("> ");
            gets(tmpbuf);
            if (strcmp(tmpbuf,"") == 0)
                  exit(0);
            else
            {
              if (G__file_name(lines_filename,"arc",tmpbuf,G_mapset()) == NULL)
                 G_warning ("Could not find ARC line file %s\n", lines_filename);
->            if ((lines_file=fopen(lines_filename,"r")) == NULL)
->               G_warning("File could NOT be opened for reading ");
              else
                 done = 1;
            }
    }     while (!done);

| Timothy H. Keitt                                        |
| The University of New Mexico                            |
| Department of Biology                                   |
| Albuquerque NM 87131                                    |
| 505/277-3431                                            |
| tkeitt at algodones.unm.edu                                |