scaling imagery

Kelly Elder kelly at crseo.ucsb.edu
Sat May 29 10:54:27 EDT 1993

In the past I have used ipw for image processing, and
before using clustering and classifying routines I have
scaled the input values from the imagery (i.e. mean=0,
std.dev=1).

I would like to use the grass routines, i.cluster and
i.maxlik for future imagery work and for classification
schemes of nonimagery data. The obvious problem is the
inability of grass to handle floating point numbers,
which means scaling by conventional methods is impossible.
Is there a statistically sound way around this problem?

thank you, kelly

kelly elder
center for remote sensing and environmental optics
university of california
santa barbara, california 93106

e-mail: kelly at crseo.ucsb.edu