24-bit monitor and grass

mcclanah at dlgeo.cr.usgs.gov mcclanah at dlgeo.cr.usgs.gov
Thu Oct 7 07:27:11 EDT 1993

Nalneesh Gaur writes:
>We have a IBM RISC6000 and a 24 bit monitor. We installed GRASS normally
>on it and it works.
Someone would have to prove to me that you are actually running in 24
bit mode (or someone has altered the GRASS code). The way X handles
24 bit vs. 8 bit is so different that there is no way (that I know of)
that code written for 8 bit systems will actually display all of the
avialable colors of a 24 bit system. Most 24 bit systems can be run
in 8 bit mode - but then you lose the greater color capability.

Pat McClanahan		Internet:mcclanah at dlgeo.cr.usgs.gov
EROS Data Center 		 mcclanah at edcserver1.cr.usgs.gov
Sioux Falls, SD
605-361-4607