MASK for a hand drawn area

Susan Huse sue at ced.berkeley.edu
Mon Oct 11 17:54:42 EDT 1993

> From grass-lists-owner at max.cecer.army.mil Mon Oct 11 07:46:22 1993
> Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1993 14:38:13 GMT
> From: news at yuma.ACNS.ColoState.EDU (News Account)
> Sender: grass-lists-owner at max.cecer.army.mil
> To: grassu-list at max.cecer.army.mil
>
> Newsgroups: info.grass.user
> From: copeland at lamar.ColoState.EDU (Jeffrey Copeland)
> Subject: MASKS
> Sender: news at yuma.ACNS.ColoState.EDU (News Account)
> Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1993 14:38:11 GMT
>

> I'm trying to create a MASK for a hand drawn area.  I can see how to
> take a vector area and get a raster file from that, but how do I get
> the raster file to have 2 categories, 1 inside mask line and the other
> outside.

> Jeffrey Copeland                      | We're wanted men,
> Colorado State University             | We'll strike again,
> Atmospheric Science                   | But first let's have a beer!
> 303-491-8502                          |
> copeland at homebrew.atmos.colostate.edu | J.Buffet, Great Filling Station Holdup

Assuming that you created the vector file and converted to raster correctly,
r.mask should work just fine.
In r.mask create a new mask.  To each category that you wish to stay
"visible" give a value of one.  To all categories you wish to disappear
give a value of 0.
It doesn't really matter how many categories the raster file has that you
use to mask.  The MASK will have only two visible (included in the mask)
and invisible (not included in the mask).