m.ll2u help requested

Christine Weiss cmw at nycparks.gov
Thu Sep 2 13:49:50 EDT 1993

Hello Grass Users,

I'm having a bit of difficulty trying to figure out how to convert maps from  lat/long to utm.   I understand how to use m.ll2u when just converting a few points, but when needing to convert a whole map, what is the process?

When m.ll2u asks for the file of points to convert, it expects them in the following format:

degrees:minutes:seconds{E|W} degrees:minutes:seconds{N|S}

However, I can not seem to get them in this format.  If I output my map to ascii, the coordinates are no longer d:m:s, but in decimal form.  m.ll2u will not accept it decimal form.  I've tried exporting to dxf to get the proper format, but that also puts in decimal form.  Using v.out.arc will put it into d:m, but will not add the seconds, thus it is not very useful.

I checked the archives, but this problem doesn't seem to have been addressed in the past.  I know I must be overlooking something very obvious.  Thank you for any help. If it matters, I'm still using 4.0.

----

Christine Weiss
NYC Dept. Parks & Recreation
Natural Resources Group