grid to grass conversion of dem data

Eric Lambert lambert at zardoz.gis.uiuc.edu
Fri Sep 3 17:06:17 EDT 1993

Hello world,

I have a dem which was originally in a BIL format.  My end goal is to have this dem as a raster map to display in Grass4.1/4.2.  I first converted the BIL image to a grid coverage using the imagegrid <in_dem> <out_grid> command in Arc.

This image was displayable in grid using the gridshades <grid> command.  I then used the gridascii <in_grid> <out_ascii_file> command in Arc.  Next, I manually changed the header of this ascii file from the Arc to Grass format.  This new ascii file had the first six lines as follows:

north: -337068.312
south: -604468.312
east: 361305.406
west: -41394.594
rows: 2674
cols: 4027

followed by LOTS of 0's interspersed with numbers representing the DEM elevation data...as I understand it.

My last step...I thought, was to use the r.in.ascii Grass command to bring in this ascii file.  However, when I try to do a d.rast with this dem, I get a big white rectangle filled with NODATA.  There were no error messages, but there are also no cells with data.  I'm stumped.

When I use the describe <grid> in grid I get the following information:

Cell Size =             100.000                    GRID SIZE

Data Type:              Integer         Number of Rows    =             2674
  Number of Values =       3393         Number of Columns =             4027

           BOUNDARY                                STATISTICS

Xmin =               -41394.594         Minimum Value =                0.000
Xmax =               361305.406         Maximum Value =            65535.000
Ymin =              -604468.312         Mean          =              231.674
Ymax =              -337068.312         Standard Deviation =         485.058

                     NO COORDINATE SYSTEM DEFINED

Any any all help is appreciated.  Please respond directly, if you like, to:

lambert at murphy.gis.uiuc.edu