High resolution output from a frame with multiple windows

BAKERWL BAKERWL at corral.uwyo.edu
Sat Sep 25 13:00:13 EDT 1993

I'm more than a little confused about how to get high resolution output
on a printer after creating a complex frame with multiple windows using
the XDRIVER (in this case on my Sun Sparc).

One way is to capture the frame as a sunraster file using the Sun
snapshot... tool, then import the raster file into an x,y mapset
using r.in.sunrast.  However, this seems to limit the resolution of
the resulting raster file to whatever the screen resolution of the
window was when it was captured.  On my Sparc, this is at most about
900 rows.  When printed, for example, 6" high on a laserjet using
ps.map, this ends up at only 150 dpi, half what the laserjet can handle.

Another way must be to use d.mon to select a CELL display device rather
than a monitor window, then display everything into this CELL display
device?  I can't figure out if this is then saved as a raster file, and
if so what it would be called, or if it would have better resolution?

Is there another way to achieve high resolution output of complex frames?

	Bill Baker
	bakerwl at corral.uwyo.edu
	Univ. of Wyoming