High resolution output from a frame with multiple windows

Ronald Thomas ront at niwot.CFNR.ColoState.EDU
Sun Sep 26 10:20:29 EDT 1993

Bill,

I don't know if this will be the answer to your problems, but there is a
shareware program called XV that can "stretch" an image to whatever size
your graphics monitor will allow ( up to approx. 1100 x900 in our case).

XV is a graphics viewer+ program, runs on openwindows/Xwindows
environments, can "grab" images from a GRASS graphics screen, with color
editing possible (color to greyscale, smoothing, dithering, etc),  lots of
other nifty stuff, too.

There is an info button that lets you know what you had and what you
changed the image to, and the program will let you save the new size in
many formats.  I have a copy here that was compiled for SUN's using OS
4.1.3, and I have the complete source code, also.

If you are interested, I will place these at our anonymous ftp site for
you to retrieve.  I highly recommend XV!  Drop me a line at my email
address printed below.  I have the documentation for the last (2.2) version
of XV, and the new docs are available as a 'ps' file within the source
code directories (~ 100 pages, I believe).

You might also try the "scale" tool of the PBMPLUS tools, I think it is
called pnmscale, but it might be different (ppmscale??).

For the rest of the world out there, the ftp addresses and general
descriptions for XV and PBMPLUS follow the address.

Ronald Thomas                                ront at meeker.cfnr.colostate.edu
 Natural Resource Spec. (GIS)         ^^^    Phone: 303-586-3565  x285
  Resources Management Division  ^^  ^^^^^   FAX: 303-586-4702
   Rocky Mountain National Park ^^^ ^^^^^^^  Estes Park, CO  80517

   ************* Addresses & descriptions **********************

    xv by John Bradley.  X-based image display, manipulation, and format
    conversion package.  XV displays many image formats and permits editing
    of GIF files, among others. The program was updated 5/92; see the file
    contrib/xv-3.00.tar.Z on export.lcs.mit.edu.

    PBMPLUS, by Jef Poskanzer.  Comprehensive format conversion and image
    manipulation package.  The latest version is always available via
    anonymous FTP as ftp.ee.lbl.gov:pbmplus*.tar.Z,
    wuarchive.wustl.edu:graphics/graphics/packages/pbmplus/pbmplus*.tar.Z,
    and export.lcs.mit.edu:contrib/pbmplus*.tar.Z.