tcltkgrass/Linux Problem

Tom Moore tmoore at pnfi.forestry.ca
Wed Apr 6 15:07:58 EDT 1994

Sorry for being incommunicado for the last couple of weeks.
I was busy organizing and running a Tcl/Tk - GRASS workshop!
We had about 35 people together for the workshop, complete
with a room full of workstations.  It really worked well.
The participants were all people involved in developing
forest management decision support systems for Canada's
Green Plan and Model Forest program.  The feedback from the
workshop was very positive.  Most people seemed very excited
by the possibilities that these tools bring.

In mailgate.grass.user you write:

    Mark> I was able to avoid the segmentation fault core dumps by
    Mark> compiling tcltkgrass using the gcc option
    Mark> -fwritable-strings. I now have Gilles' tcltkgrass up and
    Mark> running on my Linux system. There are some problems here and
    Mark> there, but my guess is that tcltkgrass isn't actually
    Mark> finished yet. :)

The current version of tcltkgrass is definitely early-alpha release
quality.  As you may have noticed, there are a few noticable bugs,
probably a number of hidden gotcha's, and no documentation.
There isn't even a README file, and the makefile requires
editting.  Hopefully, these inadequcies will be addressed over
the next month.

Gilles will be doing some more work to fix up the widget.  He
mentioned some of the things he is planning and they sound
impressive, including surface modelling.

I think that it would help development if people could forward
bug reports to myself (tmoore at pnfi.forestry.ca) or to Gilles
(gc at copernic.lasinc.qc.ca).  If you send them to me, I will
make sure that they are forwarded on to Gilles.

Tom--
Tom Moore                                       tmoore at pnfi.forestry.ca
Petawawa National Forestry Institute
Canadian Forest Service, Box 2000, Chalk River  +1 (613) 589-3048
ONT K0J 1J0  CANADA                             +1 (613) 589-2275 telefax