ghost view and Resolution size

Mark P. Line markline at henson.cc.wwu.edu
Wed Apr 6 20:07:36 EDT 1994

On Wed, 6 Apr 1994 DUNN_JS at gold.colorado.edu wrote:

> Does anyone know if ghost view will reduce postcript files that it reads
> in. I am trying to reduce the resolution of a particular postscript
> file to 66% of original . If ghostview doesn't does anyone know what
> will.

GhostView won't change your PostScript file for you. It can change lots of
viewing parameters (resolutions, orientation, media, magsteps etc.), but
it doesn't change the file and, AFAIK, it doesn't constrain what it sends
off to a printer or file to conform to the view paramater you've set.

What you probably need is psutils, a set of tools that will manipulate
PostScript files directly for you. I haven't unpacked my own copy of
psutils yet, so I haven't seen the man pages. I suspect very strongly,
though, that it will do your reductions for you. You can get psutils from
lots of anonymous ftp sites: archie will know which.

-- Mark

Mark P. Line                       Phone: +1-206-733-6040
Open Pathways                        Fax: +1-206-733-6040
P.O. Box F                         Email: markline at henson.cc.wwu.edu
Bellingham, WA 98227-0296