Install GRASS/Linux vs SCO

Cao Changyong changyoc at daisy.siue.edu
Thu Apr 7 00:42:03 EDT 1994

Ania wrote:
>Dear Netters,
>can anyone with experience of installing GRASS on PC-486 compare pros
>and cons of Linux vs SCO Unix ver. 3.0 for this? I'm esp. interested
>in ease of use, although installation quirks on these platforms are also
>important. Or maybe SCO is not suited at all? Somehow I can't recall much
>postings to the list on this recently.
>Regards,

>Ania

Here is just a few:

    Linux                                   Other

Freely distributed                          Pay big bucks
Hundreds of free programs                   ??
X Window included                           ??
Use as X terminals                          ??
GRASS binaries available                    ??
??                                          Well documented?
??                                          Technical support
Hurt business?                              Pro Business
Unstable                                    ??
Some hardware not compatible                ??
Development system included                 ??
Too many releases & versions                ??
Don't have to worry if messed up            ??
Upgrade is free                             ??
Time consuming for beginners                ??
More and more people will use               ??
Free may have a negative connotation        ??
Using Linux may not be politically correct  ??
... ...

Changyong Cao
changyoc at daisy.siue.edu