TcltkGRASS/Linux:1,2,3

Mark P. Line markline at henson.cc.wwu.edu
Thu Apr 7 18:29:22 EDT 1994

First off, thanks *VERY MUCH* to Cao Changyong for supplying us with such
an excellent and exhaustive summary.

On Thu, 7 Apr 1994, Cao Changyong wrote:

>      Change the tcltkgrass Makefile in the ../grass/src directory to reflect
> the configuration of your machine.  Pay attention to the TCL and TK path
> (should point to the source directories).  GRASS should point  to the GRASS
> src directory.  You do need the source codes for GRASS because it will look for
> such things as gis.h.

All it needs from the source tree is the include files and the libraries,
as nearly as I can make out. If you don't already have GRASS source
installed, and don't want to use the space for all 50MB, then you can just
extract what tcltkgrass needs. That's what I've done for now, so I could
provide a list of what I had to extract and install from the source tree
so that tcltkgrass would compile, if anybody's interested.

>     1) In the Makefile, the compiler flag "A 10" was not recongnized on my
> system.  Therefore, I only used the -O flag.

Would somebody like to clue me in on what '-A 10' is supposed to do, and
what race of cc's it is from?

>     2) The access(..., R_OK) in one of those .c files: the R_OK was not
> recognized for some reason.  Therefore, I changed R_OK to 0.

Yes, in src/tcltkgrass.c. POSIX standard R_OK is normally defined as 4 in
<unistd.h>. However, just including that file in tcltkgrass.c caused
collisions that I didn't have time to follow up -- I think it was with
tkConfig.h. So I just added a '#define R_OK 4' somewhere in tcltkgrass.c
before R_OK was used. Note that a value of 0 (POSIX constant F_OK) in the
call to access() will only determine whether or not a file exists, even if
it is not readable by your userid. This could conceivably lead to problems
if tcltkgrass.c later assumes that the file is readable when it's not. A
value of R_OK == 4 makes sure that the file is readable.

>      Finally, please realize that this is the Alpha version of the summary.
> So please do not complain if things go wrong.

:) I think you're being overly polite. I'd like to see someone complain
about the lack of a beta-tested installation guide for alpha software. Go
ahead, make my day.

-- Mark

Mark P. Line                       Phone: +1-206-733-6040
Open Pathways                        Fax: +1-206-733-6040
P.O. Box F                         Email: markline at henson.cc.wwu.edu
Bellingham, WA 98227-0296